TelcoDRPositioning TelcoDR as a cloud evangelist
TelcoDR is DR. Danielle Royston: former CEO at Optiva, long-time cloud evangelist, and now on a mission to bring the benefits of the public cloud to telco. The challenge? DR wanted to launch her personal brand and messaging (in addition to a fully integrated, digitally-led content marketing campaign including a website, paid media advertising, and hero content, alongside a podcast, newsletter and blog series), to a US and UK audience largely unfamiliar with her name and expertise. In addition, as a public cloud consultancy firm, TelcoDR is not a product and isn’t selling a piece of tech: often a hard communications sell.
All-hands-on-deck international media relations (fuelled by fresh messaging and pitch angles); an award scoop to get DR’s name out there; a media launch event which educated key media on the TelcoDR proposition and lifted spirits during a tough 2020; and a programme of content that would ensure DR’s frank, authoritative and outspoken voice was heard – and amplified – among tech and business media.
We launched the campaign with a sleek, streamlined website and a piece of hero content: a public cloud whitepaper that sits as a gated asset on the site. A programme of monthly newsletters and blogs ensured continuous momentum and served as proof points to media keen to hear DR’s backstory and message. A cocktail and cloud masterclass via Zoom, as well as numerous speaker slots at third party events ensured DR was seen and heard despite tight travel restrictions.
With a new website, a bulging book of journalist contacts, and well-attended sessions at trade events, DR is now an established voice in public cloud and telco, with media coverage and a rich catalogue of content to evidence her experience and drive.
Highlights from just a few months include:
- Capacity Magazine recognised DR as one of its ’20 Women to Watch’ in 2020, despite only having launched her brand the month before.
- The monthly podcast has grown to an average of 200 listeners per episode.
- The monthly newsletter now achieves a 57% open rate, with 43% of the audience highly engaged with the content. Readership numbers have grown by 1250%.
- Fourteen paid media/event engagements managed, including all content support and logistics, reaching all key target audience and media titles.
- DR has engaged with all tier one media through multiple opportunities and has been quoted/mentioned in sixteen articles/podcasts, published seven thought leadership articles in tier one media, and had two guest podcast appearances.
- Created and managed a soft media launch for the TelcoDR brand via a virtual Michelin star chef cook-along with four key media.
TelcoDR, with DR at the helm, is now regularly approached by key figures in the telecoms industry, including media and analysts, and is perfectly positioned to embark on part II of her cloud journey… Watch this space!