New Release of Tekelec Policy Server Key to Profitable, Innovative Mobile Data Business Models
Over-the-Top Services, Shared Data Plans, Location-Based Services and More
AMSTERDAM, Netherlands — Policy Control and Real-Time Charging Conference — April 24, 2012 — Mobile operators can offer subscribers enhanced Over-the-Top (OTT) applications and advanced shared data plans, and location-based LTE services with the newest version of Tekelec’s Policy Server (PCRF), a critical component of the New Diameter Network.
“The latest release of Tekelec’s market-leading Policy Server gives service providers the opportunity to increase revenues from popular over-the-top applications like YouTube and Facebook, simplify services with shared data plans and unlock the potential of location-based LTE services,” said Doug Suriano, Tekelec’s CTO. “The Policy Server unites the creativity and fast time-to-market requirements of service provider marketing teams with the reliability, scalability and flexibility required by network and IT departments.”
These enhancements build on the company’s market leadership and product performance highlighted by industry analyst firm Current Analysis, which reported that Tekelec’s Policy Server “sets the standard in the industry against which all other policy controllers will be measured.” In addition, Infonetics Research’s annual global service provider survey named Tekelec the top policy vendor for the third consecutive year in 2011.
The new Policy Server release, available in June 2012, gives service providers the ability to introduce:
• Shared data plans. Simplify data plans for groups of users by offering shared data plans that pool usage quotas across multiple subscribers and devices during the billing cycle. Service providers can also define multiple thresholds for managing subscribers’ speeds, access and notifications.
• LTE service options in available service areas. Authorize location-based services such as higher service tiers, casual usage plans or trial offers by detecting when subscribers enter and move within LTE coverage areas.
• Enhanced over-the-top applications. Add value to OTT applications by offering unique quality-of-service rules, including location-based service enhancements, and launching consumer-friendly plans based on popular applications. The latest Diameter interfaces such as Sd for Deep Packet Inspection and Content Optimization solutions deliver faster time-to-market for new services and improved interoperability.
• More flexible offers. A richer set of tools in Tekelec’s sophisticated rules engine gives service providers the ability to add exceptions and exclusions to existing policies, including service tier, device and time.
• Table-driven policies to accelerate time-to-market. Pre-defined policy tables to segment subscribers by service tier, device, application usage and other parameters, providing an efficient mechanism to modify policy rules to launch and evolve new services.
“Our research shows that the most compelling policy product differentiator is real-world policy deployments at significant scale,” said Jennifer Pigg, president and founder of Battle Green Research and an affiliate at Yankee Group. “Tekelec’s Policy Server builds on the company’s innovation to deliver more personalized pricing plans and revenue-generating services.”
The Tekelec Policy Server resides on the company’s unique EAGLE XG middleware, the engine of the New Diameter Network that provides subscriber database scalability, high message processing rates and superior reliability. The Policy Server is deployed in 55 service provider networks including 42 Tier 1s, in 33 countries.
Why Tekelec for Policy: Key Considerations in Selecting a Next-Generation Policy Server
Current Analysis: Tekelec Policy Server Product Assessment
Policy Server product brief
All in the Family: How Shared Data Plans are Driving New Requirements
An Intelligent Approach to Monetizing Mobile Broadband white paper
Tekelec’s intelligent mobile broadband solutions enable service providers to manage and monetize mobile data and evolve to LTE and IMS. We are the architects of the new Diameter network, the foundation for session, policy and subscriber data management. More than 300 service providers use our market-leading solutions to deliver cloud, machine-to-machine and personalized services to consumers and enterprises. For more information visit www.tekelec.com.